Thursday 11 July 2013

WALK YOUR TALK

| |





“That’ll be $27.49, please,” requested the cashier of the local department store. Startled by the amount, I hesitated before reaching into my wallet for the money. That can’t be correct, I calculated. The three items definitely come closer to $45.00. Yep, I know what happened. She overlooked one and only counted the other two. Since everything’s already in the bag, I could just pay and walk out with one freebie. After all, it was her mistake, not mine! Besides, no one is watching…


    “Uh, are you sure?” I asked the cashier as I leaned toward the register to check the amount again. “I’d be glad to pay that price, but I’m sure it must be more.”

    She looked surprised, as if she were thinking, What crazy woman is this…wanting to pay more when she can get away with less? Almost reluctantly, she searched through the bag. Sure enough, there was something she had overlooked. The price tag was missing, so she called her supervisor for a price check.

    The line of customers grew longer behind me as the cashier and I silently waited. Then suddenly, a faint look of recognition lit her face. She smiled timidly and questioned, “Don’t you go to Harvest Baptist?”

    “Yes,” I carefully replied. Although I was the senior pastor’s wife and was involved in various ministries in the church, I didn’t personally know everyone who attended. That sometimes put me in an awkward spot because those who came to church generally knew who I was and expected me to know them as well. But I sure didn’t know her at all!

    She grinned broadly as she continued, “I thought I had seen you there!”

    “Oh, do you go?” I asked.

    “I just started recently.”

    “What’s your name?”

    “Kim.”

    Just as we were striking up a conversation, the supervisor returned with the price. After the items were paid for, I gathered up my purse and shopping bag in my arms.

    “It’s nice to meet you, Kim.” I called over my shoulder as I turned to go. “I’ll be sure to remember you the next time I see you at church. ‘Bye!”

    She again smiled sweetly at me, then she turned her attention to the next customer.

    As I left the store, “ifs” surfaced in my mind. What if I had succombed to the suggestion to be dishonest...even if no one found out? I wonder if God had used that simple 'integrity test' to affect her view of Christianity? I wonder if she’s a Christian? The circumstance had obviously been a divine appointment that was designed for a broader purpose than just my own quiet obedience. 

    A feeling of relief washed over me. Joy also warmed my heart as I was rewarded by the realization that not only had He enabled me to personally do the right thing, but that that little incident was probably more of a testimony to my new friend than any words I could have spoken.

    I was once again reminded to always "walk the talk!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
THE GLORY OF THE YOUTH CHRISTIAN CLUB INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES. Powered by Blogger.